Who Are We?
Established in Edinburgh in 2004, Absolute Escapes is an award-winning specialist in self-guided walking holidays and tailor-made travel in the UK & Ireland.
Our first-hand knowledge and meticulous attention to detail is key to exceeding the expectations of our clients from around the world. By listening carefully to our clients’ requirements and planning fabulous itineraries where the logistics work, we allow people to hold onto their spirit of adventure – no matter how busy their lives have become.
We’re never so lost in logistics that we forget that our holidays allow people to spend precious time reconnecting with nature, with each other, and rejuvenating. Each holiday we book is as individual as the person it is created for.
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and professional individual to join our friendly team as a Finance Assistant. This will be on an initial 1 year fixed term contract with the potential to extend.
The role will play an integral part in delivering all the financial aspects of the walking holidays and tailor-made tours that we provide for our UK and international clients. This is crucial to ensure the smooth operation of the business by having responsibility for paying our numerous suppliers and partners as well as invoicing clients and preparation of the accounts.
You will be highly organised with excellent attention to detail and with previous experience within a finance or accounting role.
All of our team are passionate about travel and the outdoors, so this role would suit someone with similar interests, as well as a good knowledge of the UK as a tourism destination.
While this is an office based role, there is the opportunity to combine this with home working for 40% of your working hours. Absolute Escapes office is located in the heart of Edinburgh at Dovecot Studios, 10 Infirmary Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1LT.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Paying our suppliers and partners through our cloud based tour operator software
- Administering all central expenditure through Xero Accounting Software
- Processing deposits and final payments from clients
- Following-up with our hotel partners for commission payments
- Preparation of weekly sales figures for the operations team
- Providing support to all business functions for all expenditure related matters
- Preparing quarterly VAT returns for submission to HMRC
- Deal with all finance related queries, both internal and external as they arise
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Numeracy skills and an ability to understand, analyse and present financial data to the operations team
- Experience in a previous financial or accounting role
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with an ability to deal clearly and professionally by telephone and email
- Excellent organisation skills and attention to detail is essential
- Problem-solving skills and able to use own initiative to identify improvements to systems and procedures
- A real people person who thrives on interacting with a variety of people and enjoys working as part of an energetic and enthusiastic team
- A high level of motivation and a strong work ethic with the ability to work on your own initiative, within a small entrepreneurial business
- Excellent computer skills required including fluency in MS Word, Excel and Google Workspace
- Educated to degree level or equivalent professional experience
- Monday to Friday
- 09.00 – 17.00
- 40 hours per week with 1 hour for lunch
Closing Date and Start Date
The closing date for applications is the 28th January 2022, and we expect the successful candidate to start in January or February.
Why Work For Us?
- Salary up to £27,000 depending on qualifications and experience
- Performance-based bonus scheme based on the company’s sales targets after successful completion of probationary period
- Enrolment in the company’s pension scheme
- 20 days annual holiday, increasing to 23 days after 3 years service and 25 days after 5 years service
- 8 public holidays
- Additional 5 days unpaid leave can be taken per annum after successful completion of probationary period
- Flexible working hours and culture including a blend of office and home-based
- 1 week’s fully paid research trip each year which in the past have included Cornwall, Shetland, the Outer Hebrides, and walking the West Highland Way.
- 3 month unpaid sabbatical available after 3 years of service
- Monthly social nights including a company allowance towards entertainment
- Employee discounts with many of our suppliers including car hire, ferries, Rabbie’s Tours, Jacobite Steam Train, Scotch Whisky Experience, Cotswold Outdoors and Tiso
- Fresh fruit deliveries
- Join company volunteering days such as tree planting in the Scottish Borders for the John Muir Trust
- Regular team meetings as well as learning and development opportunities
- Opportunity to progress your career within the company
How to Apply
Please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would be an asset to our team to:
Email: Andy Gabe – email@example.com
Post: Andy Gabe, Absolute Escapes, Dovecot Studios, 10 Infirmary Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1LT