Who Are We?
Established in Edinburgh in 2004, Absolute Escapes is an award-winning specialist in self-guided walking holidays and tailor-made travel in the UK & Ireland.
Our first-hand knowledge and meticulous attention to detail is key to exceeding the expectations of our clients from around the world. By listening carefully to our clients’ requirements and planning fabulous itineraries where the logistics work, we allow people to hold onto their spirit of adventure – no matter how busy their lives have become.
We’re never so lost in logistics that we forget that our holidays allow people to spend precious time reconnecting with nature, with each other, and rejuvenating. Each holiday we book is as individual as the person it is created for.
As part of our continued growth plans, we are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and professional individual who is passionate about travel and the outdoors to join our team as a Travel Specialist.
The role will play an integral part in delivering all aspects of the walking holidays and tailor-made tours that we provide for our UK and international clients. You will be highly organised with excellent attention to detail and people skills as you will be working with a wide range of partners and suppliers in the tourism industry.
You will be involved in every aspect of the business and will assist in exceeding our customers’ expectations and in the future success of Absolute Escapes.
This role would suit someone with a keen interest in travel and the outdoors, as well as a good knowledge of the UK as a tourism destination, and who is looking to develop a career in the industry.
While we’re currently working remotely, our team is looking forward to returning to the Absolute Escapes office just as soon as government guidelines allow. Our office location is Dovecot Studios, 10 Infirmary Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1LT.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparing customer quotations and managing the entire experience from enquiry through to post-holiday follow-up
- Building rapport with suppliers and clients from around the world
- Making reservations with accommodation, transport and other service providers
- Ensure bookings are efficiently processed and client requests are met
- Supporting clients with any issues or amendments that arise before, during and after their holiday
- Being actively involved in new product development
- Providing support to all business and office functions
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- A genuine passion for travel, walking and the outdoors, and knowledge of the UK as a tourism destination
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with an ability to deal clearly and professionally by telephone and email
- Excellent organisation skills and attention to detail is essential
- A strong commitment to excellent customer service and exceeding expectations
- A real people person who thrives on interacting with a variety of people and enjoys working as part of an energetic and enthusiastic team
- Excellent selling and negotiation skills
- A high level of motivation and a strong work ethic with the ability to work on your own initiative, within a small entrepreneurial business
- Problem-solving skills and an ability to think outside the box
- Excellent computer skills required including fluency in MS Word, Excel and Google Workspace
- Ideally educated to degree level. Although a degree is not essential, an excellent command of both written and spoken English and strong numerical skills are required
- Monday to Friday
- 09.00 – 17.00 (or 10.00 – 18.00 on an occasional basis)
- 40 hours per week with 1 hour for lunch
We are now accepting applications for this position which will commence at a date to be discussed at interview stage.
Why Work For Us?
- Starting salary of £17,500 – £19,000 pa depending on qualifications and experience
- Performance-based bonus scheme based on the Company’s sales targets after successful completion of probationary period
- Enrolment in the Company’s Pension Scheme
- 20 days annual holiday, increasing to 23 days after 3 years service and 25 days after 5 years service
- 8 public holidays
- Additional 5 days unpaid leave can be taken per annum after successful completion of probationary period
- Flexible working hours and culture including a blend of office and home-based
- 1 week’s fully paid research trip each year which in the past have included Cornwall, Shetland, the Outer Hebrides, and walking the West Highland Way.
- 3 month unpaid sabbatical available after 3 years of service
- Monthly social nights including a company allowance towards entertainment
- Employee discounts with many of our suppliers including car hire, ferries, Rabbie’s Tours, Jacobite Steam Train, Scotch Whisky Experience, Cotswold Outdoors and Tiso
- Fresh fruit deliveries
- Join company volunteering days such as tree planting in the Scottish Borders for the John Muir Trust
- Regular team meetings as well as learning and development opportunities
- Opportunity to progress your career within the company
How to Apply
Please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would be an asset to our team AND describing your favourite place in the UK to:
Email: Andy Gabe – email@example.com
Post: Andy Gabe, Absolute Escapes, Dovecot Studios, 10 Infirmary Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1LT