Coast to Coast
> Prices from: £ 925.00 per person
> Start / Finish: St Bees / Robin Hood's Bay
> Distance: 190 miles (304 km)
> Duration: 13 to 16 days according to choice
> Availability: Any Start Date from April to October
> Grading: Moderate to Challenging
> Limited way-marking but easy to follow
Coast to Coast Highlights
- Walk through three spectacular national parks as you experience ‘One of the World’s Greatest Walks'
- The idyllic lakeland valleys of Borrowdale, Grasmere and Patterdale
- Charming Grasmere and Dove Cottage - the home of William Wordsworth
- Take the steamer across Ullswater and return around the lakeshore
- The wonderful camaraderie of your fellow coast-to-coasters
- Relax in quaint Yorkshire tea shops in the delightful villages of Muker and Reeth
- The historic cobbled streets and market square of Richmond
- The marvellous heather-covered plateaux of the North York Moors
The Coast to Coast is a wonderful and inspiring route which ranks with the finest of long distance walks. In a search to find the 50 best walks in the world, the Coast to Coast ranked 2nd, behind the Milford Track in New Zealand beating famous walks such as the Inca Trail, Mont Blanc and Everest Base Camp.
Created by legendary fellwalker Alfred Wainwright - this classic long-distance walk crosses the north of England from St Bees on the shores of the Irish Sea, to the North Sea at Robin Hood's Bay. The walk passes through three national parks and across a cross-section of England's finest landscapes.
It begins in the rugged mountains and beautiful lakes of the Lake District - England's largest national park - before crossing the rolling hills and pretty valleys of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Enjoy the expansive heather moorland of the North York Moors National Park, and some dramatic coastal scenery at each end.
Along the route are ancient castles, medieval abbeys and quaint English villages with friendly tea shops and pubs. However, it is the people that you meet that make this walk. There is wonderful camaraderie - the humour, personalities and characters of the people you meet cannot be emulated anywhere in the world.
Although very well known, Wainwright's Coast to Coast Walk should not be undertaken lightly and is graded as Challenging. For a sustained walking tour such as this, with often rough going underfoot, steep gradients and long days, a good standard of fitness is required.